Direct Care Professional - Classroom
- Provide a safe, clean, and nurturing environment that meets and/or exceeds all requirements set forth by Heartspring.
- Provide a structured environment for students by following the schedule of activities that promotes the student’s learning opportunities and their independent living skills.
- Implement and document the students’ training programs as prescribed in the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or informal training programs in the home setting.
- Implement, document, and provide input into the Student Support Plan (SSP), as outlined by the psychology department.
- Implement and document student-specific training in specialized areas, as prescribed by the students’ teams (i.e., Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Speech Therapy).
- Escort students to off-campus events, including special outings, field trips, and healthcare appointments.
- Perform and assist with non-violent behavior management system for crisis intervention as needed.
- Adhere to all procedures and techniques as outlined in the Safe and Positive Approaches (NCI) training.
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, teachers, team members, supervisors, and all persons involved in the students’ programs.
- Document and/or report any health concerns, whether ongoing (i.e. diabetes, seizures) or emergent (i.e., lacerations, bruises).
- Document and report any instances of abuse, neglect, exploitation, or other unusual incidents or events, as per Heartspring and Department of Child & Family Services guidelines.
- Prompt and regular attendance is required; working on major holidays is necessary, as scheduled.
- Assist in training and welcoming new Classroom Paraeducators into the School.
- Provide specific verbal praise for students throughout the day.
- Assist students with eating their lunch.
- Provide for the safety and protection of the students in the event of an emergency (fire, tornado, severe weather, etc.), whether on campus or out in the community.
- Manage students’ clothing and personal belongings, and notifying the supervisor of any needs in a timely manner.
- Complete tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Complete other duties, as assigned.
Educational, Training, and Licensure Requirements
- High school diploma, or equivalent.
- Valid Kansas drivers’ license and good driving record preferred (required in order to drive students in Heartspring vehicles).
- Must successfully complete all required orientation and training conducted by Heartspring staff.
- Must complete 18 hours of in-service training per year.
- Must make up all missed trainings, classes, and meetings in a timely manner.
- Must maintain NCI certification (annual).
- Must maintain CPR certification.
- Able to perform significant, prolonged, and frequent amounts of walking, standing, sitting, stooping, squatting, bending, twisting, reaching, and kneeling.
- Must be able to run short distances.
- Regular lifting of up to 10 pounds.
- Occasional lifting of up to 30 pounds.
- Occasional exposure to infectious disease, parasites, bodily fluids, and blood-borne pathogens.
- Potential exposure to physical contact from students, including slapping, hitting, punching, kicking, head-butting, and biting.
- Occasional exposure to all weather conditions, including heat, cold, wind, rain, and snow/ice.
- Mandatory use of Heartspring-standard personal protective equipment.
- May require use of personal protective equipment, including gloves, helmets, arm guards, and leg guards.
Knowledge & Skills
- Self-Control – job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive responses, even in very difficult situations.
- Attention to Detail – job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing assigned tasks.
- Dependability – job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and to fulfill obligations.
- Persistence – job requires persistence in the face of obstacles.
- Technology – job requires the ability to use/operate a standard computer system and hand-held devices.
Heartspring offers a generous benefits package including three weeks of paid vacation, sick leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, short term disability insurance and retirement plans. Heartspring also offers opportunities to grow within and advance your careers through on-the-job training, internal promotion preferences, and the Heartspring scholarship program to help you go back to school.
Heartspring is a drug-free campus. Heartspring is an EEO employer.