The Heartspring residential/school program is growing! We are seeking a Registered Nurse for our residential/school program. As an RN at Heartspring, you will directly impact the lives of our children in profound and meaningful ways.
Heartspring Registered Nurses work as part of an interdisciplinary team that includes teachers, speech therapists, occupational therapists, medical professionals, and residential supervisors. Our collaborative approach is designed to help students achieve their greatest possible levels of independence.
Our Registered Nurses are key to creating hope and opportunity for children by providing primary care to students with autism and other disabilities, overseeing the delivery of comprehensive health care needs, and providing staff training as needed. If you are passionate about working with children and would like to be part of an innovative, inter-disciplinary team, this will be the best career of your life!
SIGN ON BONUS: $5,000.00 at hire with a 1 year commitment with experience.
- Manage assigned caseload of students, to include providing appropriate nursing intervention according to scope of practice for minor and emergent health concerns.
- Serve as the on-call medical representative as scheduled.
- Obtain health history for newly enrolling students on assigned team.
- Complete initial health screening, including height, weight, heart rate, B/P, lab work, and TB test administration on all newly enrolling students on assigned team.
- Coordinate referrals to specialists or outside providers, as ordered, and implement recommendations as approved by attending physician.
- Perform routine AIMS exams on students prescribed antipsychotic medications.
- Assist with routine health checks (BM data, vital signs, etc.) as needed.
- Assist with coordination of annual dental and vision exams for students as needed.
- Coordinate hearing screenings or examinations every three years as recommended by Audiology consultants.
- Provide parents/guardians of students written reports regarding student health status, including reports from specialists or outside providers.
- Communicate with parents regarding immunization status of assigned students, and coordinate immunizations as needed, and transcribe immunization records to WebIZ.
- Coordinate medication changes for assigned students. Monitor for side effects and effectiveness of medications.
- Participate in weekly Med/Psych meetings and maintain communication with parents of assigned students.
- Conduct regular medical in-service and training to new employees on assigned rotation, and document according to KDHE requirements.
- Provide on-going medical training to staff, as needed for new health/medical conditions arise in the student population.
- Facilitate retraining of staff on medical and health related issues, as needed.
- Review medication errors as they occur and retrain staff, if needed.
- Perform monthly inspections of MARs and medication orders as assigned.
- Perform inspections of medications delivered from pharmacy as assigned.
- Administer medication, as assigned.
- Maintain all student health records in accordance with KDHE requirements.
- Review medical orders on students on an annual basis, and update as needed.
- Administer TB skin tests and Hepatitis B vaccinations to employees as needed.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Licensure Requirements:
- Minimum Associates' Degree in nursing required.
- Minimum of one year of experience in pediatric nursing care and/or psychiatric nursing care.
- Must maintain Kansas license (RN).
- Must successfully complete all required orientation and training conducted by Heartspring staff.
- Must maintain S&PA certification (annual).
- Must maintain CPR certification.
Physical and Environment Requirements:
- A physical ability to perform occasional amounts of walking, standing, sitting, stooping, squatting, kneeling, and lifting 30 pounds or more.
- Occasional exposure to infectious disease, parasites, bodily fluids, and blood-borne pathogens.
Benefits:Heartspring offers a generous benefits package including three weeks of paid vacation, sick leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, short term disability insurance and retirement plans. Heartspring also offers opportunities to grow within and advance your careers through on-the-job training, internal promotion preferences, and the Heartspring scholarship program to help you go back to school.
Heartspring is a drug-free campus. Heartspring is an EEO employer.