Senior Director of Compliance
This position will lead the newly established compliance division for Heartspring establishing a culture of quality, whole organization accountability, cross-division performance alignment, and continuous improvement at Heartspring.
As the Senior Director of Compliance at Heartspring, you will work closely with team members across multiple departments to uphold and develop standards and policies to reduce compliance risks; identify, investigate, and address all instances of alleged and actual noncompliance; promote compliant and ethical behavior throughout the organization; and, encourage equitable accountability throughout the organization.
You will leverage exceptional communication skills to serve both internal and external customers, clients, and patients. As a key role within the Executive Administration, you will be welcomed into a supportive, team-based leadership approach that models our values regarding: diversity and inclusion, interdisciplinary representation, collaborative leadership, solution-focused problem solving, data-driven decision making, and authentic communication.
This position will report to the CEO directly and will represent Heartspring’s unwavering commitment to provide world class education, therapies, and supportive services to children and youth who have intellectual disabilities, developmental disabilities, and other special needs.
- Establishing and maintaining an accountable education and treatment milieu which is conducive to person-centered care, positive behavioral interventions, trauma-informed/responsive care, and best practices;
- Being the single point of contact for managing all Heartspring policies, procedures, protocols, and practices (4ps);
- Leading the efficient and excellent monitoring of 4ps throughout the organization;
- Upgrading and streamlining 4ps for efficiency and effectiveness;
- Assuring compliance with all applicable Federal, State of Kansas, and Heartspring standards, statutes, regulations and contractual obligations;
- Identifies, assesses, and prioritizes areas of risk, on-site survey preparedness, and clinical programming quality;
- Assists Heartspring staff in coordinating the investigation, processing, and defense of complaints for accrediting bodies and regulatory agencies;
- Completes onsite visits to assigned departments in order to assist with compliance survey preparation and follow-up, and completes standardized compliance audits;
- Submits regular reports to the executive team outlining activities, high risk or problem prone areas, and follow up priorities for future success;
- Directs and conducts projects, executive-sponsored initiatives, regulatory audits, risk assessments; audit planning, mock audits, audit training, audit evidence preparation, and audit preparedness. This position will not be involved in the Financial Audit review process.
- Leads compliance monitoring to identify process gaps, validate compliance levels, draft corrective actions/remediation plans, oversee implementation of corrective actions, and prepare reports/presentations;
- Develops strong relationships with key leaders and organizational partners to identify and address compliance risks and failures and manage action plans designed to fully mitigate compliance risk(s).
- Any and all other duties related to the position as assigned
- Ability to travel may be required
- Sitting at a desk for long periods of time
- Constant use of overall vision with continuous reading and close-up work
- Hand and finger dexterity for frequent repetitive writing, typing, grasping, reaching, and pulling
- Hearing and talking skills in person and on the phone
- Office environment, indoors, climate controlled.
Knowledge & Skills
Excellent knowledge of:
- State and federal regulatory requirements specific to the organizational mission
- Audit processes and investigator techniques and protocols
- Regulatory standards, healthcare or academic
- Principles/theories of adult learning and competency-based education
- Personnel and labor relations regulations
- Understanding of coding and reimbursement systems
- Risk management and performance improvement
- Analytical and organizational skills
- Oral and written communication skills
- Interpersonal skill
- Effective presentation skills
- Ability to work in a matrixed environment
- Represents the office with regulators, agencies and others in an effective manner
- Conflict resolution skills
- Ability to contribute to administrative activities as necessary and institute quality control procedures that are needed in order to achieve success
Full Time- Exempt
Educational, Training, and Licensure Requirements
- Requires an MS/MBA/PhD/JD or similar professional designation
- 8-10 years of integrated health care, IDDO, regulatory, ethics, compliance or privacy experience or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background, including strong leadership/managerial skills and ability to motivate/coach other staff
- Clinical background preferred
Heartspring offers competitive benefits including health, vision, and dental insurances, paid sick, holiday, and vacation leave, 403 (b) retirement plan, company paid basic life insurance, supplemental group term life insurance, discounted gym memberships, scholarships and educational assistance, and more. Additionally, we cover national and state membership dues, CEUS, licensing, and professional development. Working at Heartspring could make you eligible for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness.