The Staff Trainer is primarily responsible for implementing effective and engaging training for all new hire staff members, delivering recurring training in specific skill areas, and ensuring all employees are in compliance with various state regulations and requirements through on-going training and recordkeeping. Staff Trainers deliver both classroom as well as environmental training. Training techniques include classroom learning, environmental (on-the-job) training, presentations, demonstrations, one-on-one coaching, and online learning.
The Staff Trainers will rotate on a monthly basis between Classroom Trainer and Environmental Trainer.
Classroom Trainer Duties:
Schedule: 8am-5pm M-F
- Design and deliver training to all new employees. This includes one full day of orientation for all new employees, and 5-10 days of classroom training for all direct care staff (Para, ISP, Therapies, Clinical Staff, etc.).
- Ensure a smooth training process by having all materials prepped and ready to go, as well as ensure that other presenters are set up and ready to go for their presentations.
- In collaboration with the Director of Training & Development, evaluate the effectiveness of new hire training, redesign and upgrade the training based on feedback and the needs of the organization.
Environmental Trainer Duties:
Schedule: Includes 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift hours during weekdays and weekends to ensure availability for all shifts.
- 90% of time will be allocated to working directly in the classroom and home with new hires
- Follow new hires into the environments for on the job training/coaching so that they are adequately prepared to move into black hat status.
- Use a work phone to check in frequently on how new hires are adjusting to their new job. This will take place during Yellow-Hat and Black-Hat status.
- Coordinate with environment supervisor/s on the new hires’ progress during yellow hat status and provide additional training/tools/resources to both the environment and new hire as needed.
- Follow up with employees by scheduling and/or conducting competency checks and 30/60 day check-ins.
- Serve as a resource to classroom and home environments on all training-related items (Debriefings, drills, renewals, team building, problem-solving, etc.).
- Help with quality assurance around all training-related items (data collection, crisis management, program integrity, etc.)
- In collaboration with the Director of Training & Development, evaluate the effectiveness of new hire training and redesign and upgrade the training based on feedback and the needs of the organization.
- Modeling a client centered, trauma responsive approach and helping redirect staff to meet this goal
- Role Model for Heartspring’s mission, values and culture
- Deliver ongoing professional development and certification programs in specific skill areas as identified by organizational need or licensing requirements.
- In collaboration with the Director of Training & Development, identify content for monthly NCI drills as well as annual recertification, and coordinate the application of content with the other NCI Trainers.
- Ensure that all employees are certified in required recurring trainings, such as First Aid/CPR and Defensive Driving and maintain appropriate records/documentation of the training.
- Deliver various on-going support and training as needed across all of campus, including Outpatient and Families/Outreach.
- Assist the Human Resources and Employee Relations departments as needed
- Maintain all personal instructional certifications needed to effectively perform job duties (NCI, First Aid/CPR, and Defensive Driving).
- Maintain a regular presence in classroom and group home environments.
- Prompt and regular attendance is required.
- Keep track of training documentation for all employees.
- Maintain refreshments and other miscellaneous supplies used throughout new hire training.
- In collaboration with the Director of Training & Development, help develop classroom handouts, instructional materials, and learning tools.
- Sit in and participate in various task forces as needed.
- Will make recommendations to Residential School and Classroom administration regarding re-training of staff when necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Training & Development or the Chief People Officer.
Must maintain the ability to have a flexible schedule in order to meet the needs of new hires and current staff on various shifts, including 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift weekday and weekend hours.
EDUCATIONAL, TRAINING, AND LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred. Must acquire and maintain instructor level licensures and endorsements from various private and state entities.
- Covid-19 Vaccine Required per Federal Mandate
- Able to perform significant, prolonged, and frequent amounts of walking, standing, sitting, stooping, squatting, bending, twisting, reaching, and kneeling.- frequently
- Repeitive Motion: typing- Constantly
- Hearing, Seeing and Speaking- Constantly
- Being able to support an individual’s body weight.- Occasionally
- Get down and up from a kneeling position without assistance from others.- Frequently
- Remain on one or both knees for prolonged periods of time. – Frequent
- Occasional exposure to infectious disease, parasites, bodily fluids, and blood-borne pathogens.
- Potential exposure to physical contact from students, including slapping, hitting, punching, kicking, head-butting, and biting.
- Occasional exposure to all weather conditions, including heat, cold, wind, rain, and snow/ice.
- May require use of personal protective equipment, including gloves, helmets, arm guards, and leg guards.
- Ability and willingness to work various hours including 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift weekday and weekend hours.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Must have excellent interpersonal, presentation, supervisory, and communication skills.
- Must be comfortable presenting to large groups of people.
- Must possess experience working with people living with developmental disabilities in a residential, school, or adult setting.
- Requires familiarity and basic proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Comfortable being recorded/presenting on camera.
- Proficiency in the utilization of technology, such as creating and uploading courses onto Heartspring’s Learning Management System.
Commensable based on education and experience
Heartspring offers a generous benefit package including paid vacation and sick leave, insurance, and retirement plans.