Vice President of Advancement
- Manage all fundraising activities, including designing and implementing strategies for
generating increased revenue for programs and capital needs.
- Establish development goals and objectives and work with the Director of Philanthropy to determine the priority of activities to be implemented.
- Provide strategic direction for the advancement team in addition to development and training opportunities to nurture and foster individual and team skills in order to meet overall department goals while ensuring processes are documented and adhered to.
- Lead the development of and monitor comprehensive annual philanthropic plans, grant proposals and reporting requirements.
- Build and maintain positive long-term relationships with current and new, internal and external partners, and stakeholders in addition to participating in principal-level fundraising.
- Manage highly effective events in which the goal is to raise funds and awareness.
- Ensure stewardship plan is adhered to so that all benefactors feel engaged and
- Develop fundraising reports for the Advancement Committee and Board and make presentations as requested at board meetings on behalf of the philanthropy and marketing teams.
- Generate tours of the facilities and meetings with current and potential donors.
Marketing and Communication
- Lead and monitor comprehensive annual marketing and communications plans for a database of 13K+.
- Work with Director of Marketing to establish organizational marketing strategies, supporting program services, human resource needs, and event awareness.
- Leverage Board members for meetings, calls, letters, etc. and provide preparatory materials such as bios, history, target ask, context of relationship, etc.
- Oversee the creation of all written fundraising and marketing materials, including grant proposals, reports, appeal letters, and event invitations.
- Generate positive press coverage.
- Serve as a member of the leadership team, actively participating in strategic planning geared towards improving the quality of services offered as well as enhancing the overall effectiveness of leaders and the morale of staff.
- Motivate and guide advancement team members consisting of both fundraising and marketing professionals with a goal to advance the mission of Heartspring through engaging and artful storytelling, connecting with those who seek and benefit from our services, and inviting all to financially support and advocate for the families we serve.
- Oversee, track outcomes and impact, analyze results, and report on key metrics, adjusting strategy as necessary based on interpretations.
- Improve advancement team efficiencies by implementing proactive approaches and responding quickly and effectively to changing priorities in a dynamic, deadline, and data-driven environment.
- Coordinate with facilities and IT to ensure all equipment needs prior to an onsite event.
- Follow and uphold all Heartspring policies and procedures for supervised staff.
- Promote the mission, vision, and values of Heartspring.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Educational, Training, and Licensure Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Communications or related field, Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum five (5) years corporate relations, marketing, communications, and/or organizational development and fundraising.
- Minimum five (5) years of supervision/team leadership experience.
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong leadership skills and presence.
- Proven success in nonprofit fundraising.
- Highly organized and exhibit excellent time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize big picture ideas and execute into tangible actions.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to present effective and compelling messages to individuals,
groups, and the public.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work with a diverse variety of
- Integrity and an ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving skills.
- Extensive knowledge of finance and budgeting.
- Knowledge of grant writing with measurable results.
- Demonstration of an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Demonstration of initiative, creativity and follow-through.
- Ability to multi-task and be in control of numerous tasks at any one time.
- High level of energy, enthusiasm, and humor.
- Ability to work in a diverse, fast-paced environment.
- Must be flexible and able to work evenings and weekends and travel as needed.
Required Organizational Competencies
- Advocacy: Uses expertise to influence and advocate for improved practice and to advance organizational outcomes.
- Analytical Thinking: Demonstrates the ability to analyze information and use logic to address work-related issues and problems.
- Collaboration: Demonstrates the ability to work productively within and across teams to achieve goals that are customer centered.
- Communication: Applies a customer centered approach to deliver and exchange information that leads to mutual understanding.
- Critical Thinking: Demonstrates ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Expertise: Demonstrates advancing knowledge, skills and abilities in the role and in field of practice.
- Integrity: Demonstrates quality of honest, ethical, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Organizational Advancement: Demonstrates actions that support organizational growth based on a shared understanding of the current and future Heartspring operating environment.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates attitudes, behaviors and orientations that are consistent with the conduct, aims and qualities that characterize Heartspring.
- Extensive work in the field interacting with prospects, donors, key influencers and stakeholders.
- Work is performed both in the field and in an office environment.
- Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about sitting, walking, standing, etc.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risk
- Constant use of overall vision with continuous reading and close-up work.
- Hand and finger dexterity for frequent repetitive writing, typing, grasping, reaching, and pulling.
- Hearing and talking skills in person and on the phone.
- Must be able to lift to 15 pounds at times.
- Office environment, indoors, climate controlled.
- Occasional exposure to infectious disease, parasites, bodily fluids, and blood-borne pathogens.
- Potential exposure to physical contact from students, including slapping, hitting, punching, kicking, head-butting, and biting.
- Occasional exposure to all weather conditions, including heat, cold, wind, rain, and snow/ice.
Heartspring offers a generous benefits package including three weeks of paid vacation, sick leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, short term disability insurance and retirement plans. Heartspring also offers opportunities to grow within and advance your careers through on-the-job training, internal promotion preferences, and the Heartspring scholarship program to help you go back to school.
Heartspring is a drug-free campus. Heartspring is an EEO employer.