Special Education Teacher
Is special education your passion? If so, we’ve got the rewarding teaching opportunity you’ve been waiting for!
We are looking for an educator with a passion for helping children with special needs and an energetic drive to teach, guide, and lead. Heartspring educators change lives one day at a time. By creating a fun, safe learning environment and providing attentive, individualized instruction, Heartspring teachers enable students to develop independence and discover their highest potential.
Heartspring school: An exceptional education experience
What distinguishes our residential school from others is its immersive, collaborative approach to learning. Our education system uses evidence-based practices based on the National Standards Project developed by the Autism Center. As such, Heartspring teachers work directly with school paraeducators, direct care staff, psychologists, speech-language pathologists, and occupational therapists to provide a well-rounded learning experience and improve all areas of a student’s life (including their mental, psychological, and physical wellbeing).
Our residential school serves children ages five to 21 impacted by autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and other developmental disabilities.
Heartspring teachers are educational leaders
As a special education teacher at Heartspring, you will be a leader in jumpstarting and molding our students’ success. Heartspring educators write students’ individualized education plans (IEPs) and lead a dedicated team of classroom paraprofessionals while also collaborating with therapists, psychologists, speech-language pathologists and other professionals to execute the plans. As educational leaders, Heartspring teachers also form part of professional committees to assist the school with improvements and accreditations.
Our teachers provide year-round instruction to children with low and high incidence disabilities (autism, sensory impairment, moderate to severe developmental, and behavioral challenges)– and we provide our teachers excellent professional and physical resources so that they can make a long-lasting positive impact in our students’ lives.
- Provides research-based specialized instruction to address the instructional goals and objectives contained within each student's IEP.
- Assesses student progress and determines the need for additional reinforcement or adjustments to instructional techniques.
- Employs various teaching techniques, methods and principles of learning to enable students to meet their IEP goals.
- Utilize positive reinforcement and behavior modification to instruct students in socially acceptable behavior to reduce incidents and maintain order.
- Keep records of all special needs students that adhere to local, state and federal guidelines to remain compliant.
- Demonstrate positive classroom communication and attitude
- Ensure classroom visitors are greeted and made to feel welcome
- Complete other duties as assigned
Educational, Training, and Licensure Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Special Education required
- K-12 endorsement high or low incidence
- Valid teaching credentials
- Must successfully complete all required orientation and training conducted by Heartspring staff
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (NCI) certification
- First Aid & CPR certification
Physical and Environment Requirements:
- Able to perform significant, prolonged, and frequent amounts of walking, standing, sitting, stooping, squatting, bending, twisting, reaching, and kneeling
- Regular lifting of up to 10 pounds
- Occasional lifting of up to 30 pounds
- Occasional exposure to infectious disease, parasites, bodily fluids, and blood-borne pathogens
- Potential exposure to physical contact from students, including slapping, hitting, punching, kicking, head-butting, and biting
- Occasional exposure to all weather conditions, including heat, cold, wind, rain, and snow/ice
- Mandatory use of Heartspring-standard personal protective equipment
- May require use of personal protective equipment, including gloves, helmets, arm guards, and leg guards
Benefits:Heartspring offers a generous benefits package including three weeks of paid vacation, sick leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, short term disability insurance and retirement plans. Heartspring also offers opportunities to grow within and advance your careers through on-the-job training, internal promotion preferences, and the Heartspring scholarship program to help you go back to school.
Heartspring is a drug-free campus. Heartspring is an EEO employer.